Why Do I Love Croatia?


Lots of countries in the world have beautiful beaches. I've visited St. Croix, the Bahamas, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, and I've lived near the Pacific and Atlantic coasts in America. But none of these coastal areas wowed me like Croatia.

I think that much of the charm of Croatia is found in it's historic architecture--seeing beautiful old buildings near the sea or clusters of terra cotta roof tops with the sea as a backdrop.

I think that much of its beauty is the way the land rises from the sea as if it has just been formed--it has fewer gentle coast line areas and more rugged ones. But somehow even it's rugged coast appears graceful.

This pictures a Croatian political celebration in Baska Voda.
They sang and enjoyed themselves until after midnight.

I think that much of its uniqueness lies in its recent history--knowing that the communists tried to keep this beautiful land for themselves, but couldn't....meeting people who lived in two worlds, saved from the isolation and propaganda of communism by the tourist industry.

Perhaps some of Croatia's appeal lies in the fact that it hasn't yet been ruined by the tourist industry and is still somewhat unknown to Americans. I remember telling friends in America that we were vacationing in Croatia and I got several reactions--"Where?" or "Aren't they having some war there?"

There's no denying that the first time a person sees the city of Dubrovnik set against the turquoise sea they cannot help but catch their breath. But Dubronik is only one of many sights in Croatia that will take your breath away. I don't think I've ever said "wow!" so much as when we drove along the coast.

Yes, there is something about Croatia that beckons a person to return...again and again. As one world traveler we met in the Split airport said, "I must find a way to live here. It is the most beautiful land in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...